Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A Loving Reflection


Here in Dublin tonight – or the early hours of the morning – the wind is raging. Trees bend low and silhouette branches dance wildly. Jet lag has me up and at the computer…a month in the US was enough to re-set my body clock, I guess. Looking at the date of my last entry, I see I’ve been away for a while now. In the interim I had one of the most powerful, meaningful and fulfilling experiences of my life: the privilege of caring for my sweet, sweet sister-in-law, Kathy, through her last stages of pancreatic cancer. At the age of 54, Kathleen C. Delaney died on the morning of August 12th.

I still do not have words to explain, or even a full understanding of what this experience means to me. They will come in time.

I do not know how I could possibly translate the immeasurable dimensions of what she brought to what are now the immeasurable parts of me. Some things cannot be bounded or contained.

I do not know exactly how the precious, golden strands of Kathy, and my time with, her will be woven through the fabric of my life. I need more distance to see the pattern clearly.

But, what I do know is this: Our time together, as well as her attitude, dignity and strength have provided me with a multitude of gifts, a lifetime of contemplation and many lessons that will unfold. Her presence will be with me always.

I also know that I am more resolute than ever in my desire to live life “on purpose”; to help others listen to and follow their hearts so they can live their lives on purpose – so they can create a purposeful life.

Kathy, dear heart, you were – are – the most elegant of teachers, and I am so deeply grateful for the gift of your life.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

My thoughts are with you. It is, indeed, an honor to be present with someone you love at their transition through death.

May you continue to integrate the experience and capture the learning. Many blessings.

susan said...

Maggie, Your post reminds me of this quote from Anais Nin. "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Thank you for your courage, my friend.

Susan